You might know what ownCloud is, that ownCloud is extremely easy to set up. This article is about Firefox Sync, the new service of Mozilla Firefox.
There’s a plugin available that creates a ‘wave’ server, that’s the protocol used to sync Firefox. Witht his plugin you’ll be able to sync firefox with your own server and your other devices.
This plugin enables you to sync your passwords, bookmarks and settings to all your devices that run Firefox (Android, Winodws, Linux and Mac OS if you will).
Here we go:
- Download the plugin (http://apps.owncloud.com/content/show.php/?content=155251) and put it in the app-dir (/var/www/owncloud/apps).
- Don’t forget to change the permissions (depending on your webserver, with me it was www-data:www-data with 755).
- Log in on your ownCloud installation and go to Apps (in the upper-right menu), enable “Mozilla Sync Service“
- Edit your own account and fill out your email address.
- Copy the URL that appears at the bottom of the page (see image)
- Open Firefox and go to sync settings (firefox-button->sync), choose ‘new account’. Fill out the details according to your personal page in ownCloud.
- Click Next.
Adding other devices
After setting this up, you can add other devices, follow the instructions in this video to do so: